Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Next Four Weeks

I've just had my appointment at the doctors and it went relatively well. She hadn't heard from my counsellor yet, but discussed with me how I felt about work and the thought of being on medication.

I've never felt comfortable with the idea of anti-depressants. I want to be sure that I'm feeling happy because I am improving, not because of some drug I'm taking. My doctor assured me that this wouldn't be the case, that the drugs simply help lift you out of the depression, but that they're useless without effort on my part. It would be a long stretch however, 3 months for the drugs to start having some effect then a further 6 to 9 months of me working at improving things before I could risk coming of them. If I stop early, then I risk sinking into a worse depression than I'm in at the moment.

I'm going to think about it for the time being. I want to see how I am after my girlfriend returns and talk things through with my counsellor first. I may feel that I don't need drugs while she's around, but then if she leaves to go abroad again in 6 weeks, that could change again.

I've also been signed off work for another 4 weeks and have another appointment to see my doctor at that time. Over that period, I need to decide about the medication and discuss my problems with work. I can call the doctors and arrange to go on anti-depressants at any time if I decide to go ahead with that. I'm not sure what to do about work though.

My doctor wants me to contact the relevant members of staff and discuss with them the issues surrounding me being off work and what they can do to help me return. The problem is, that I've already discussed these issues with my seniors at work and got nothing but more grief and hassle for my troubles. I don't know who else to go to there and I suspect I'll get similar responses regardless. I think my only option will be someone in Human Resources. I don't know any of the staff there, nor if they can help, but as I have to send my sick note to them, I may attach a letter asking them to contact me regarding my absence. It's all I can think of.

It feels like I have mountains to climb. Decisions aren't the easiest thing to make at the moment due to the lack of focus I currently have. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I will be thinking about it.

I'm still waiting to hear from my girlfriend, although she usually mails between 3 and 4pm, still an hour away.

No comments: