Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Weight Lifted

I finally heard from my girlfriend yesterday. Going a full 4 days without any contact was hard, very hard. It's at times like that, that my mind will start creating fantasies around the reasons for it, despite knowing full well the real reasons why. So, it was a great relief when I answered the phone and heard her voice on the other end.

The calls she's made from the ship are always a bit awkward. There's a delay of a few seconds, which creates a pause between one of us finishing what they have to say and the other replying. Often, we end up talking over each other because of this and have to back-track to find out what we said. Minor issues overall though and the quality of the conversations don't suffer because of that, at least not to any point worth mentioning.

We had limited time, but managed about 10-15 minutes before her phone card ran out and we were cut off. She sounded a bit fed up. Understandable really after all the problems...a week without her luggage, stolen items and more since then. She's had no help from the cruise regarding solving the baggage problem, they won't get involved. To top things off, she's now having issues with them paying her (as in they haven't) and she's almost out of money. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do except offer a friendly ear and tell her that she has a lot to forward to on her return. I'm trying to be as supportive as I can, despite my own problems, or maybe because of them. I have offered to send her money if needed, to chase compensation issues up at this end, but I know all she really wants is to be back home.

She finally got her Internet card in the evening and sent a brief mail with her full flight details and specific times. She leaves next Saturday and will be arriving back here at 12.40pm on Sunday. I'll be driving to the airport to pick her up...a one hour drive, each way, down a busy and stressful stretch of motorway. I don't mind at all though, I just want to get her back here safely and take care of her.

That was pretty much the content of the mail, but she promised to write more today when she's have more time. She signed the email off with kisses...that made me smile. I slept better last night than I have for over a week. Not a perfect night, but I feel better for it. I know it was because of my contact with her and the relief I felt knowing that, even if she wasn't completely happy, she was safe and well. I look forward to her being back and having her laying next to me at night. I feel so much more secure when she's there and I can hear her gentle snoring.

No comments: